Chair of the Board
Interplay Theatre is looking for someone to join the team as non-executive Chair of the Board of Directors and Trustees at a very exciting time for the charity. It comes as Hemant Patel steps down due to work commitments following his 10 years on the board, with the last four as Chair.
Interplay is a National Portfolio Organisation of Arts Council England and receives regular funding from them and also from Leeds City Council’s arts@Leeds grant scheme. We’re the National Centre for Sensory Theatre, developing and delighting young people with special needs through ground-breaking accessible theatre and art. We tell stories, light up young faces and place our audience at the centre of our great quality art and theatre using each of the five senses.
Interplay is about to embark on a new stage of development, expanding the reach and impact of our work. Our new Chairperson will be crucial to this – guiding and supporting our strategic direction and championing our work locally, regionally and nationally so we can continue to grow.
We’re looking for someone to lead the strong board and charity – someone with strategic skills, committee experience, an accomplished communicator and a decision maker. Above all, the Chairperson will have a strong network and an aptitude for diplomacy and relationship building.
Perhaps most importantly, our Chairperson will be an ambassador for Interplay, attend performances and external events and work closely with the Artistic Director and management team. They’ll also look after some of the functional aspects of the board such as leading four board meetings and one away day per year, and be involved with sub committees. The appointment assumes a commitment to a minimum of one year.
We would like our Chairperson to:
- – have knowledge of the arts / how they are funded / community engagement and to have a commitment to support social change
- – have knowledge of fundraising within the arts sector
- – have a belief in the power of the work of the charity to tell stories and change lives and be an ambassador
- – have experience of strategic planning and risk management
- – have the ability and experience to lead and direct the Board to drive development
- – to act as a figure head for Interplay Theatre; to lead the development of the board and to ensure decisions are effectively implemented
- – have skills in governance and forward planning
- – have experience of chairing meetings – ideally as the chair of a board of trustees – and of ensuring the agenda, timing and the business of each meeting meets the legal and statutory requirements of a charity/limited company
- – have experience of strategic financial planning and budget review
- – take action and provide guidance and support staff over challenging and complex issues and provide guidance across a range of issues from staffing, planning, legal and financial
- – have the ability to support the company to be ambitious, to grow and to take managed risks
- – have the ability and capacity to give the role the time and attention it requires
For further enquiries, please contact Andrew Procter, General Manager
email@example.com / 0113 263 8556 / www.interplaytheatre.co.uk